On our pricing page, we did our best to explain every aspect of our pricing policy as clearly and concisely. But requests for clarification keep coming. So, we are putting together a more detailed commentary and complementing it with a few examples to leave no questions unanswered.
Below is a slightly regrouped pricing table from the website (all prices are specified per month):
|Default — all you get for a fixed fee (you can’t have less)|
|connections per channel||100||50 000|
|flespi devices||10||1 000|
|storage (see clarification below)||see limits by element type||∞ (1 GB included)|
|MQTT sessions||100||10 000|
|limits (related to subaccounts)||—||1 000|
|SLA||$ 0 (Best Effort)||$ 0 (Priority)|
|Cost so far:||$ 0||$ 100|
|Extras — employ additional elements as your project grows (drop them if scaling down).|
Available for Commercial use only.
|extra channel (see clarification below)||—||$ 30|
|extra stream||—||$ 10|
|extra 100 devices||—||$ 1|
|extra 1 GB storage||—||$ 1|
|extra 1 000 containers||—||$ 1|
|extra 1 000 abques||—||$ 1|
|extra 1 000 CDNs||—||$ 1|
|extra 1 000 MQTT sessions||—||$ 1|
|extra 1 000 tokens||—||$ 1|
|extra 1 000 subaccounts||—||$ 1|
|extra 1 000 limits||—||$ 1|
|SLA Advanced||—||$ 900|
|SLA Premium||—||$ 3 000|
|Cost so far:||$ 0||$ 101+|
- you cannot extend any of the limits in the Free version. E.g., you can have up to three channels, but you can’t go any further. To start scaling up, you need to switch to the Commercial mode first.
- even though the flespi panel shows the total storage volume for each element type, the storage is not redistributed between the elements. E.g., When you create two streams, you get 100 MB of storage for each one. Even if the first stream only uses 20 MB, the second one still has its 100 MB, not 180 MB.
- storage in the Free mode is limited based on the restrictions for each element type (see the table below).
- storage is not limited in the Commercial mode.
flespi platform imposes some storage and traffic restrictions that are generous and reasonable enough for you not to be too concerned about them. However, we want to put them straight, clarify what they mean, and give tips on how to avoid hitting them.
|Controlled value||Free||Commercial||Action if exceeded|
|REST/MQTT traffic per minute||50 MB||2 000 MB||platform suspended for 1 minute|
|API requests per minute||200||100 000||platform suspended for 1 minute|
|Logs storage period||3 days||10 days||obsolete log records are deleted|
|Account inactive||60 days||∞||account is deleted|
|Active connections per channel||100||50 000||channel suspended for 1 minute|
|Stored data per channel||100 MB||10 000 MB||channel suspended for 1 minute|
|Channel traffic per minute||10 MB||1 000 MB||channel suspended for 1 minute|
|Channel messages per minute||500||200 000||channel suspended for 1 minute|
|Stream traffic per minute||10 MB||1 000 MB||stream suspended for 1 minute|
|Stored data per stream||100 MB||10 000 MB||new messages are discarded|
|Stored data per device||100 MB||10 000 MB||new messages are discarded|
|Stored data per container||100 MB||10 000 MB||new messages are discarded|
|Stored data per abque||100 MB||10 000 MB||new messages are discarded|
|Stored data per CDN||200 MB||10 000 MB||new files deleted|
|Active MQTT sessions||100||10 000 000||new sessions are discarded|
|Max subscriptions per MQTT session||200||5 000||new subscriptions are discarded|
|MQTT messages per minute||1 000 000||50 000 000||platform suspended for 1 minute|
|Persistent MQTT session storage||100 MB||1 000 MB||session is deleted|
|MQTT retained messages storage||100 MB||10 000 MB||new retained messages are not stored|
Platform suspension means that all REST API requests are temporarily rejected. Channel suspension means that all existing channel connections are closed and the new ones are rejected on the channel's URI.
Clarification 1: storage types and calculation
We have a few different types of storage in the flespi platform — channels, streams, devices, containers, abques, CDNs, MQTT sessions have dedicated space to store the data.
Which types of storage do we limit?
The data stored on the flespi platform includes messages queued in the channel, device, and stream buffers, data in containers and abques, files in CDNs, persistent MQTT sessions, and MQTT retained messages. The platform restrictions table above specifies the limits for each element type. Exceeding the limit immediately triggers the corresponding action (the right column in the table). All limits are strict and governed by the platform architecture.
We do not limit the amount of data transferred through the channel or stream!
How do we calculate your storage use?
- We snapshot the storage used throughout the flespi platform (channels + streams + devices + containers + abques + CDNs + MQTT sessions) every minute and calculate the daily average.
- Based on the daily averages we calculate the monthly average.
- Round the resulting number up to the nearest gigabyte.
- Charge you.
Example: Say, you use Commercial plan and had one channel and one device in the system throughout the given month. The daily storage use is illustrated in the table and diagram below.
The average monthly use amounted to 4 000 MB.
4 000 MB — 1 000 MB included in the Commercial plan = 3 000 MB => you owe us $ 3!
How to make sure I do not use too much storage?
If you notice that the messages pile up in the buffer quicker than you expected but you still want to keep your storage use within certain limits, you can go one of the two ways (or both):
- reduce TTL in the element settings — this will lead to messages living less in the buffer thus not accumulating that fast.
- read messages from the element buffer more frequently — once you read the messages from the buffer into your application, you can clear the buffer.
Clarification 2: extra elements in the platform
If your infrastructure requires more elements in the flespi platform than the default Commercial plan allows, you are welcome to go beyond the limitations by as much as you need. At extra cost. How will we charge you? You can find the monthly prices for extra elements in the table above or on the pricing page.
What if I use the element for less than a month?
The logic is similar to storage calculation. We will collect daily statistics for each element type and average it for the given month rounding up to the closest integer where necessary.
Example: You created the fourth channel on November 1 and used it for 15 days. Then created the fifth channel on November 1 and used it for the entire month (30 days). Therefore, in November you had (5*15 + 4*15) / 30 = 4.5 = 5 channels on average.
You will pay $30 * (5 total channels — 3 default channels) = $60.
Billing terms and conditions
Once you start using flespi Commercial account you should be aware of the order of payments and consequences of non-payment. Below is the detailed timeline of how you are billed for flespi services:
- You get the invoice from us for the reporting month (e.g. November) no later than five days after the end of the reporting month (December 5).
- You have to pay until the end of this month (December 31).
- You’ll get additional reminder three days before the deadline (December 28).
- On January 1, a new invoice will be issued (for December) and in case of non-payment of November's invoice, your account will be downgraded to the free version with consequent reduction of all limits — channels, devices, storage etc. exceeding the free limits will be unavailable.
- Once you pay both invoices (for November and December), your limits and data will be restored immediately.
See more details in the Public offer contract (Section 2. Consideration to the Company).
We understand the importance of financial matters for the business and believe that trustworthiness and openness is the best strategy. We left no aces up our sleeve and put everything in plain view. If there is still any ambiguity or confusion in our explanations, please let us know, and we’ll fix it.